Curriculum Lead: Geography
Start Date: Sept 2020
TSAT Teacher Scale £26,458 - £41,063 Plus TLR 2B of £4,701
Closing Date: Friday 17th April 2020
Interview Date: To Be Confirmed
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and forward thinking Teacher of Geography to join our growing team from April 2020. A September start could be considered for the right candidate. .
We place great importance on our humanities subjects, being very aware that Geography is the subject which opens the door to this dynamic world, helps to prepare students for the role of global citizen in the 21st century and to gain an understanding of a diverse range of cultures and societies and how they exist and interconnect. We encourage our students to open their eyes to the beauty and wonder around them and appreciate the complexity of attitudes and values which shape the way we use and misuse the environment. Through geography, our students have taken part in eco-projects that have helped them to learn to value and care for the planet and all its inhabitants.
We became a co-educational establishment from September 2017. Our aim is to transform the life chances of our pupils through our motto of ‘Aspire and Achieve’.
The good behaviour of our students, and collegiate atmosphere amongst staff, makes the Academy a wonderful place to work. We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust, an expanding family of primary and secondary schools within the Portsmouth area and have recently achieved fully accredited Thinking School status from the University of Exeter.
What we can offer you:
- An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment and a further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
- A high performing environment which is dedicated to achieving the ‘Art’s Mark’ within the coming academic year.
- Highly supportive subject mentoring with a strong professional development programme to ensure that the Teachers’ Standards are well developed.
- We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy.
- Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
- Teachers are provided with well above 10% PPA, with an emphasis on joint planning within this time.
- With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career. The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
- We work closely with The Portsmouth Education Partnership, Teach Portsmouth and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance.
- The Trust holds regular CPD events and Curriculum Leaders are currently working on an exciting Year 5-8 curriculum with our Trust junior schools.
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
- Onsite parking free of charge
What you will need to succeed:
- Be a qualified and experienced Geography Teacher
- Be able to consistently deliver good or outstanding practice
- Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum
- Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating to Geography
- Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subject
- Be able to motivate his/her pupils
- Be committed to high standards for both staff and students
- Be prepared to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the Academy
- Have excellent knowledge/experience of teaching Geography
- To implement and support all Academy policies.
- To collaborate with other leaders and managers in raising standards within the curriculum to Good and Outstanding including all student groups.
- To raise standards of teaching, learning and progress to ensure all subject staff deliver and all students receive Good and Outstanding lessons.
- To coach and mentor subject staff to raise standards in learning and progress to be Good and Outstanding.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
If you would like further information regarding this post, please contact Sue Wood, Executive PA, on 02392 81 2822.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The Portsmouth Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.